5 Tips for Your First Trip to Destin
If you’re searching for the perfect destination for your next romantic getaway, look no further than Destin, FL! Located on the Emerald Coast, our Gulfside city is famous for its breathtaking white sand beaches and emerald green water. To help you plan your first trip to Destin, the Henderson Park Inn has put together five tips for making the most of your escape.
1. Check Flights from These Airports
Destin is conveniently situated near three different airports:
- Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport – about 30 minutes from the Henderson Park Inn
- Northwest Florida Beaches Airport – about one hour from the Henderson Park Inn
- Pensacola International Airport – about 1 hour and 20 minutes from the Henderson Park Inn
We recommend checking flights at all of these airports so you can find the best rates. From March through October, the Henderson Park Inn offers complimentary shuttle service to and from the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport. Of course, many cities in the Southeast are within driving distance of Destin, so taking a road trip to the Emerald Coast is also a great option!
2. Visit These Beaches
Destin boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! Here are a few beaches that you will definitely want to visit during your getaway:
- The Henderson Park Inn is located right on a private beach that is for the exclusive enjoyment of our guests. We provide complimentary beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, picnic-style sandwiches and salads for lunch, and cocktails at sunset.
- Henderson Beach State Park is located adjacent to our bed and breakfast. With over 6,000 feet of sugar white sand on the Gulf of Mexico, this beach is truly breathtaking.
- Located five minutes away from the Henderson Park Inn, James Lee Park is another gorgeous beach in Destin. James Lee Park offers free parking, a scenic boardwalk on the beach, and some of the clearest water you’ll ever see.
3. Sample the Seafood
No trip to Destin is complete without trying some of the city’s superb seafood! Known as “The World’s Luckiest Fishing Village”, Destin is home to the largest fleet of fishing vessels in the state of Florida. Local restaurants make use of this freshly caught seafood to prepare a variety of mouthwatering dishes. Here are some of the best restaurants in Destin:
- Beach Walk Cafe at the Henderson Park Inn is the only place where you can enjoy fine dining directly on the Gulf of Mexico.
- Primrose specializes in Dock-to-Table cuisine, offering both traditional seafood and a wonderful sushi menu.
- Horizons is a bar and grill with beautiful views of the water, locally brewed beer, and delicious food.
4. Don’t Miss These Popular Spots
When you’re ready for a break from the beach, you will find plenty of fun things to see and do in town. Here are a few can’t-miss spots to visit in Destin:
- The HarborWalk Village is home to a wonderful collection of shops, restaurants, and bars on Destin Harbor. This lively area frequently hosts live music events and festivals.
- The Village of Baytowne Wharf is a charming shopping and dining area along the shores of Choctawhatchee Bay. The Village is a popular destination for free music and entertainment.
- Destin Commons and Silver Sands Premium Outlets are two of the best places to go shopping on the Emerald Coast.
- Crab Island is an underwater sandbar that has become one of Destin’s top party locations. Guests will enjoy music, floating food vendors, water slides, paddle boarding, and plenty of fun in the sun.
5. Stay at the Most Romantic Hotel in America
The Henderson Park Inn is the perfect place to stay for your first trip to Destin. Our adults only bed and breakfast has been voted the most romantic hotel in America by both the users of TripAdvisor.com and About.com. With our unparalleled location on the beach, complimentary breakfast, lunch, and snacks, free bicycle rentals, and balconies overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, the Henderson Park Inn has everything you need for an unforgettable vacation. To start planning your getaway, browse our selection of Destin hotel rooms.